Sunday, July 25, 2010

Day 5: Road Trip to Georgia

This is me driving. Not the most exciting picture in the world, I know, but today's blog is really more about what the picture represents than the actual picture itself. I spend a lot of time in the car. I love to drive- road trips are the best. (Side note: I've always wanted to road trip across country with friends, maybe drive to San Francisco or something). If I'm bored, I'll take a drive. If I just need to get out for a while or need a quiet place to talk out loud to God where I know no one can hear me, I take a drive. I'm the one who volunteers when there is a pretty good distance to drive and we're trying to decide who will drive. It's not that I don't trust others, I just like to drive. I tend to get bored if someone else drives.

I can remember when I turned 16 I was so excited about this new freedom I had. I was told that would grow old real soon and I would dread driving-especially long distances. This honestly has happened a couple of times, but most of the time I love to drive. If I'm by myself that's great because I can sing at the top of my lungs or spend time praying out loud to God. If someone is with me that's great too because some of the best conversations I've had with people have been in the car on a trip. There's just something about it that I love, maybe it's because quality time is one of my love languages, who knows. (Insert plug for Gary Champman's Five Love Languages book here. For real, it's legit. It's not some silly "self help" book so don't not read it because you think it is or because you think you're too scholarly or to "manly." I know lots of "manly men" who loved it and just because it's not some deeply theological book doesn't mean it's irrelevant and not worth your time. It's something you can implement not just in a marriage or a romantic relationship but in all of your close relationships. Maybe now I'm rambling, but I felt like it needed to be said.)

Anyway, where I went to college was a 4 1/2 to 5 hour drive away from my home so making the just under 4 hour drive to visit my college room mate (who I haven't seen since her wedding 2 months ago) and her husband for the week really wasn't bad. Yes, it was probably the most desolate drive ever, BUT it was such a beautiful day that I couldn't help but enjoy myself.

I mentioned that today's post was more about what the picture represented than the picture itself and that's because it represents me going to visit someone I had spent the past 2 1/2 years living with and now don't. I no longer refer to her as "my room mate" but she is now "my college room mate." I have to specify because I'm no longer in college. It's weird for me. Add the and her husband and that just makes it even weirder. Ok, I guess it's not weird (I mean, they'd been together for like 6 years before they got married so it was time). It's just more evidence that my college days are over and it's time for the next chapter to unfold- whatever that might be.

As I was driving and admiring the clouds in the beautiful blue sky, I saw a rainbow. It wasn't the most magnificent rainbow I'd ever seen, but it still made me grin like a kid in a candy store. I really like rainbows because they're not just pretty but are just rare enough to evoke excitement from me when I see one. I also like them because they're a symbol of a promise. Not just in Genesis when God created the first rainbow as a symbol to Noah that he'll never again completely flood the earth to kill mankind, but in my own life as it's been a symbol of God's promise that he does have a plan for my life and wants to bless me. I'm not out here on my own trying to fit all of the pieces together and figure out what to do next. God is leading me and guiding me and as I look back at the beginning of the summer I can already see how God has been teaching and molding me and using this time to not only prepare me, but to use me where I am. God used the rainbow as a promise to Noah then and He has used the rainbow (a couple of times now) this summer to remind me that he does have a plan for my life and I do have purpose and he does want to bless me with the desires of my heart. I'm sad that I wasn't able to get a good picture of the rainbow (I did pull over on the side of the road to try and get one) but like I said, it wasn't the best one I'd ever seen. Either way, it was still pretty and it still reminded me of God's unending love and I am thankful for that blessing today.

No comments:

Post a Comment